Tasmanian Tiger in New Guinea?


The link below is to an article that looks at the possibility of the Tasmanian Tiger being alive and well in New Guinea.

For more visit:
http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0520-hance-thylacine-new-guinea.html

Article: Climate Change and the Moose


The link below is to an article that examines the possibility that climate change is impacting on the distribution of Moose in North America.

For more visit:
http://www.treehugger.com/endangered-species/minnesota-moose-mystery-climate-change-killing-icon-north.html

Article: Antarctic Climate Change – the Methane Connection


The link below is to an article that reports on the possibility of worsening climate change due to methane gas release from Antarctica as ice melts.

For more visit:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/08/120831-antarctica-methane-global-warming-science-environment/

Global Warming: Temperatures Rising Quicker


The link below is to an article reporting on the possibility of an increased rate of global warming than previously thought.

For more visit:
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/03/earth-warming-faster-than-expected.html

Nuclear Power: Mini Reactors a Possibility


Despite the nuclear problems in Japan following the recent earthquake and tsunami disaster there, consideration still needs to be given to nuclear power as a possible green energy source – certainly I believe that this technology warrants more investigation. The article below raises the possibility of mini-nuclear reactors as being a possible and safer answer to our energy needs.

For more visit:
http://www.good.is/post/small-modular-nuclear-plants-a-cheap-risk-free-solution/

 

Tiger Numbers Increasing???


The jury is still out on the possibility that Tiger numbers are now growing in India. If the Tiger population is growing, it is certainly good news.

For more visit:
http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/indias-tiger-count-rises-even-as-human-numbers-climb/

Holiday Planning


It is time to start planning my next holiday. First step in the process was to settle on a date for it – this has been done and I have booked in two weeks annual leave for it.

The second stage is now to establish a location for the holiday. I’m toying with a couple of ideas at the moment. The first is to travel to Cathedral Rocks National Park and do some walks in that area. The second idea is to do some overnight walks through the Myall Lakes National Park through to the Gloucester area. I ruled out the possibility of travelling to the red centre due to rental car restrictions, so it is down to these two possibilities at this stage. I am leaning towards the latter at this stage however.

Floods and Holidays


The last couple of times I have been on holidays there has been plenty of rain about the state (New South Wales). It all really started with my trip around the state back in January – it started raining prior to my trip and flooding continued through it. It really hasn’t let up since then. It is probably flooding as much now as it has ever since that trip back in January. For almost 12 months New South Wales has been getting a drenching – which is a change from the drought we had for the best part of ten years prior to the rain.

Once again, as I contemplate the possibility of heading off somewhere for a quick holiday, the vast majority of the state is in flood or being threatened by flooding. The promise is of a lot more rain to come in the coming week or so. So what to do?

 

Holiday Planning: All out the Window


As my holiday draws closer my plans have changed yet again. Back in November 2009 I rolled my right ankle badly and it has not yet recovered to the extent that it would allow me to do a lot of bushwalking – especially on slopes. So this has meant a complete rethink of my upcoming 2 week holiday.

The theory of travelling to Wagga Wagga before heading to the New South Wales south coast has now been scrapped. I simply won’t be able to do the walking I had hoped to do.

Now I am looking at a road trip – and I’m not too sure just where the roads will actually take me. I will be on the road for 7 days and had thought that a quick trip to Kakadu was a possibility – but it would have to be a very quick trip (and probably without stopping). So that isn’t going to happen.

So what will happen? Not completely sure on that. I do plan to do the following however:

Day One – Dubbo

Day Two – Wagga Wagga

OK, so the above two days are still very similar to the original plan. It is after these two days that things have changed. Instead of turning to the east, I’ll be turning to the west. I just haven’t yet decided as to where.